This year we have a wonderful weekend with two great dance competitions. We are hosting the 2015 U.S. Same-Sex Ballroom Dance Championship on Friday, September 18th and the Provincetown Dance Trophy on Saturday, September 19th. We accept and suffices the General Rules of North American Same-Sex Partner Dance Association. Membership in that organization is not required to participate in the competitions, although The U.S. Championship has few restriction of garnering the titles (see below).
The Provincetown Dance Trophy is open to everybody and has no restrictions. It welcomes same-sex couples, reverse role couples and Pro-Am couples*, where all those groups willl be judged separately.
* Pro-Am couples(short of Professional Teacher-Amateur couples) are: a) if one dancer is paying the other to dance with them during any part of the competition, and/or b) if a couple self identifies as Pro-Am couple by entering such a specified category during that competition.
* To garner a National title: (a) at least one partner (half the members of a formation team) shall be a resident of that country/nation; (b) within that calendar year this couple/team may not represent the country/nation of the other partner (half the members of a formation team) in order to garner a National title from that other country; (c) at least one of the parties (or half of the formation team) need to be an active NASSPDA members (d) Pro-Am couples are not eligible to gain the title.
* The Newcomers (Class E) can dance only the first two dances in their style and step out for the rest if is not prepared.
Different categories may be danced with different partners. However, all dances in a particular multi-dance category must be danced with the same partner regardless of grade classification.
Couples will consist of two women or two men dancing together (regardless of sexual orientation). A transgender person should dance in the category appropriate to the gender that he or she uses to live his or her life and should dance with a partner of the appropriate sex for the chosen category;
The choice of the role of leader and/or follower in same-sex couples is not pre-determined. It can be the same in all dances or vary from dance to dance or change within a dance any number of times
Dancers must wear functional and festive attire (bright colors, fringe, feathers, rhinestones and sequence)
1. Routine must have a minimum of 3 couples or 6 individuals. Formation team competition may include 2 types of routines:
a. Open Dance Routine: Teams desiring to perform routines primarily for entertainment with significant dance content.
b. Couple Dance Routine: Any routine that is performed as couples dancing together in a joined configuration throughout the routine except for: entrance, exit, transition, separation where partner changes are made, or a movement is executed where the perception of partnership is maintained. There is no further distinction of levels in regards to proficiency and/or age.
2. A “Couple Dance Routine” must be primarily partner dancing.
3. The majority (at least 60%) of the time spent couple-dancing must be either same-sex or reverse role.
4. This category allows lifts;
5. Routine must be at least 3 minutes long but no more than 5 minutes, including entering and exiting the dance floor. Routine may include changes in rhythm, but such changes are not mandatory. Routine must include at least (2) changes in formation.
There is no distinction of levels in regards to proficiency, type of performance, choice of dance and/or age. The Show dance category allows the incorporation of lifts. Length of the dance - no more then 4 minutes.
The US Championship titles in any graded multi dance category will be awarded to the highest ranking eligible couple of Class A. In the Showdance category, a Championship title will be awarded to the highest placed same-sex couple.
This competition will include single dances division and multi-dance divisions for the same-sex and reverse role couples with events for Pro-Am couples. The multi-dance events will start with the traditional Grading round. Same-sex couples, Reverse role couples and Pro-Am couples will compete separately. There are no restrictions for the participating couples. It is open to the world event and we are inviting same-sex couples from around the Globe.
SINGLE DANCE DIVISION
Beginner level: This level is intended for dancers with little to no competitive dance experience in their chosen dance style and could include couples with less than 2 years dance experience and/or less than 3 competitions. For couples who have competed in graded competitions in their chosen style, this category includes those who would normally place in levels C, D, or E in graded events.
Intermediate level: This level is intended for dancers with a moderate amount of competitive dance experience in their chosen style and could include couples with less than 5 years dance experience who have competed in same-sex competitions, and are practicing regularly. For couples who have competed in graded competitions in their chosen style, this category includes those who would normally place in levels C or B in graded events.
Advanced level: This level is intended for dancers with an extensive amount of competitive dance experience in their chosen style and could include couples with more than 5 years dance experience who continuously compete and train. For couples who have competed in graded competitions in their chosen style, this category includes those who would normally place in levels B or A in graded events.
*Single dances are unrestricted in syllabus, meaning steps will not be restricted to a particular syllabus in any of the events listed above. Same-sex couples, Reverse role, Pro-Am couples are judged separately.
We will have competitions in the following Single Dances:
SALSA, HUSTLE, ARGENTINE TANGO, COUNTRY WALTZ, COUNTRY TWO STEP AND WEST COAST SWING (Single dance event is only during on Saturday, September 19th)
Boston Open DanceSport Board Members and Organizing committee:
Information - firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +1 339-832-2812