The Boston Open DanceSport accepts and suffices the General Rules of NASSPDA. Membership in that organization is not required to participate in the competition, yet only the North American Championship has few restriction of garnering the titles. The competition is open to all. No restriction in age or sexual orientation. Participation, however, does not automatically create eligibility to garner a title. There is competition for same-sex couples, reverse role couples and Pro-Am couples*, where they will be judged separately.There are three dance divisions- Single Dance Division, Two Dances Division and 2014 North American Championship (for same-sex couples only). For the first time in Boston we are glad to have a Country Line Dance division, where any single dancer can compete.
* Pro-Am couples are: a) if one dancer is paying the other to dance with them during any part of the competition, and/or b) if a couple self identifies as Pro-Am couple by entering such a specified category during that competition. Pro-Am couples are judged separately and can not garner the Champion title.
Single Dance Division
There will be:
* The Newcomers (Class E) can dance only the first two dances in their style and step out for the rest if is not prepared.
Different categories may be danced with different partners. However, all dances in a particular multi-dance category must be danced with the same partner regardless of grade classification.
Couples will consist of two women or two men dancing together (regardless of sexual orientation). A transgender person should dance in the category appropriate to the gender that he or she uses to live his or her life and should dance with a partner of the appropriate sex for the chosen category;
The choice of the role of leader and/or follower in same-sex couples is not pre-determined. It can be the same in all dances or vary from dance to dance or change within a dance any number of times
Dancers must wear functional and festive attire
1. Routine must have a minimum of 3 couples or 6 individuals. Formation team competition may include 2 types of routines:
a. Open Dance Routine: Teams desiring to perform routines primarily for entertainment with significant dance content.
b. Couple Dance Routine: Any routine that is performed as couples dancing together in a joined configuration throughout the routine except for: entrance, exit, transition, separation where partner changes are made, or a movement is executed where the perception of partnership is maintained. There is no further distinction of levels in regards to proficiency and/or age.
2. A “Couple Dance Routine” must be primarily partner dancing.
3. The majority (at least 60%) of the time spent couple-dancing must be either same-sex or reverse role.
4. This category allows lifts;
5. Routine must be at least 3 minutes long but no more than 5 minutes, including entering and exiting the dance floor. Routine may include changes in rhythm, but such changes are not mandatory. Routine must include at least (2) changes in formation.
There is no distinction of levels in regards to proficiency, type of performance, choice of dance and/or age. The Show dance category allows the incorporation of lifts. Length- no more then 4 minutes.
This division is sanctioned by the International Association of Gays/Lesbians Country Western Dance Clubs (IAGLCWDC). It is open to everybody. The songs are chosen by Boston's Gays For Patsy's board and approved by IAGLCWDC. Step by step description can be find here. The dances are:
Content copyright 2014. Boston Open DanceSport. All rights reserved
Beginner International Cha-Cha and Rumba
Intermediate International Rumba and Jive
Advanced International Samba and Paso Doble
Beginner International Waltz and Tango
Intermediate International Waltz and Quickstep
Advanced International Foxtrot and Tango
Beginner American Rumba and East Coast Swing
Intermediate American Cha-Cha and Rumba
Advanced American Bolero and Mambo
Beginner American Foxtrot and Waltz
Intermediate American Foxtrot and Tango
Advanced American Tango and V.Waltz
900 Boylston Street, Boston MA
463 Beacon Street Guest House Boston, MA
Offering 10% discount for competitors. Call and book your room at: 617-536-1302
Mention Boston Open Dance Competition